Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Friday, December 30, 2011

Soap Making Day

Soooo, I know I said it was going to be quiet here, but there was a slight change in plans.  I woke up really sick during the night last night.  Reaction to all of those shots?  Bad food?  Who knows.

Anywhoo.  I was feeling completely sapped of energy today and decided the only thing I could manage was the grocery store and it took me 'till 11 am to get out of the house.  I had an ulterior motive to tackle the grocery shopping too.  I was down to my last couple loads worth of laundry detergent and desperately needed the supplies to make more.

I can't remember if I've mentioned that here, but yes, we've gone totally weird over here and I make our laundry detergent.  So, on the way to the grocery store we swung by the Ace Hardware that carries what I needed.  They seriously made my day by starting to carry Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda {that stuff is impossible to find}!  $17 later I would estimate I have enough ingredients to make laundry detergent for well over a year.  I may need one more bar of Fels Naptha at the end of the year, but that's just 2 bucks.

In case I haven't already linked, here is the recipe I use.  It's the Duggars recipe, but I'm linking to another adoptive momma's blog. 

After the laundry detergent was done it was on to my next soap project.  
{BTW, ultimately, I'd love to make my own goats milk soap, but until that day, these little projects will have to do.}  The next project was homemade foaming soap.  I use the foaming kind of soap in the kids' bathroom because it rinses faster and then there aren't huge globs of soap left in the sink.  I recently bought them that fancy Kandoo foaming soap because the soap container had a large base and it was a decent price.  Big mistake!  Oh, the humanity!  Purple spots all over the white bathroom.  I'm thrilled to finally refill that stuff with my own foaming soap.  So, here is the recipe for that.  Before I found this I was just filling them with soap and water on my own and it was really hit or miss on whether I had gotten the ratio right.  

So that was my little cleaning hiatus today.

No comments:

Post a Comment