Five years ago, if you would have told me how much rearranging we would do in this house, I would have laughed at you. I would have said I know exactly what I want and this is the way it is going to be. Um, yeah, we have rearranged the house a lot since then.
One bed in particular has made the rounds; the bed I had in my apartment in college. After Hubby and I got married it became the guest bed {he had a queen and mine was a double}. But over the course of the last five years that mattress has been in every room of the house, including the rather small "den" that is just off our kitchen.
Anywhoo. For the past year and a half or so, the girls have been sharing that double mattress. It worked out great at first. It got them out of their toddler beds, they got the comfort of sleeping together and we didn't have to spend any money. But a year and a half later they have grown quite a bit and there just isn't as much room in that bed anymore. Now, I know plenty of adults that can sleep two to a double bed, but adults tend to stay on their own side and not smack eachother around in the middle of the night. After the last few months of the kids waking eachother up all night long, we were all exhausted and started planning on getting them their own beds.
At first we figured we would get them a bunk bed since it looks like they will be sharing a room as long as we live in this house {Hubby confiscated the 4th bedroom for his office and then there is Brother's room}. However, Mooky wasn't too keen on sleeping on the top bunk and Pumpkin thought it would be awesome, but she is completely untrustworthy. She thinks it's nothing to jump off of a table and I have a sneaking suspicion she would feel the same about the top bunk.
So, we finally decided, for now, to just purchase them each their own twin mattress and use a bed frame. I've been doing some shopping over the last few months for their quilts and sheets. This was a pretty big expense for us, but God is an awesome God and I found just what we needed at really low prices without having to do a ton of shopping around. {I know that might sound a little strange, but seriously, he provided}.
However, we kept putting off actually purchasing the mattresses because of time and money constraints. After another week of playing musical beds, we decided to bite the bullet and make this weekend THE weekend. Unfortunately, Hubby has a demo for work on Monday and is in demo mode {i.e. we will see him when he gets hungry}.
But things still worked out. Saturday the girls spent the morning with their grandparents going to a parade while I went to a women's breakfast for our church. When I picked them up, they were exhausted and Pumpkin ended up taking a two and a half hour nap {this is a rarity}. So, I decided to take advantage of the time and started moving furniture around.
We decided to move the double bed back to Brother's room {yes, it's been there before} and move the crib to the school room. I know that sounds strange, but we could really use a bigger table in there so I'm planning on doing this with it. Hubby had his office door open while I spent about an hour rearranging, but because he's in "demo" mode the noise didn't even phase him. He was pretty astonished to find a box spring in his office when he looked up from the computer. He was awesome about it though and quickly helped me get the bed put together in Brother's room.
But now the girls didn't have any beds and we knew Sunday was going to be a hectic day if we tried to go bed shopping on Sunday. We had already picked out the mattresses at Sam's Club so I decided to brave it by myself {well, with the kids}. And I did it!
The girls were very well behaved, but lets face it, I'm a small person, so this was not an easy task. I loaded the mattresses from the shelf onto the cart, paid for them, loaded them into the truck, and then went back for a few other items and the bed rails {which were actually heavier than the mattress themselves}. I'm very proud that I was able to manage all that. And I really did want to say I did it by myself; so, I was kind of glad that no guys tried to help me. However, I find it sort of funny that the only person who did offer to help me, was another mom who was wearing her baby. I was also a little miffed that when I got home Hubby pulled them out of the truck, carried them between the car and the camper in the garage, and squeezed them into the house door like he was carrying a toothpick. Seriously, how come men are so much stronger than women?
So, as I type this, the girls are sleeping in their beds with their pretty new comforters {albeit on the floor, we didn't finish the bed frames}, the toddler mattresses are still in their room, there is a crib in the hallway {I couldn't get it around the corner without dismantling it}, and one bed frame has been set up and currently resides in the living room. Maybe I should post this tomorrow when I have a cute picture of everything put together.

No comments:
Post a Comment