Some of you may know, others not, that there is a severe drought over in east Africa right now. It is affecting Kenya, Somalia, and the southern part of Ethiopia. Ironically, the Ethiopian court that processes adoptions is closing down at the end of the week for the "rainy season".
We start our school time everyday with prayer and I wanted to start including those affected by the drought in our prayer. First, I wanted to explain what a drought was and how it was affecting the people there to the girls. We recently picked up "Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain" at our local used book store. {On a side note, this book store has been wonderful to add a little more diversity to our library.} In the story, there is a drought and a boy shoots an eagle feather at a dark cloud overhead, which breaks the cloud and the rain finally falls.
We read the book and then I discussed with them how this was going on near where brother lives. God bless them, the very first thing they wanted to know was if brother was okay. Tears sting my eyes just typing that. We all want to see brother's face and bring him home so badly. I assured the girls that brother is fine. I can only imagine by now he is at our adoption agency's transition home, in the capitol, and is not being affected by the drought.
Next, they wanted to know why we don't just shoot an arrow into the clouds and make it rain. So innocent and adorable. It wasn't quite as much fun to explain to them that making it rain isn't under our control.
Please pray for rain and for the people affected by this. Many refugees are coming from Somalia to Kenya and their plight is so unimaginable to us that sit here in comfort. Even after reaching the refugee camps there are long wait times to receive food and aid.
If you would like to give toward the relief effort we trust World Vision and I know they are actively working in this situation.


Definitely praying & we have this book too! It came as part of a free book thing Dolly Parton has for the state of TN. We get a free book for Graysen every month.
ReplyDelete