Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Monday, May 16, 2011

What is this...Payback?




We have a bit of a bird problem at our house.  I honestly don't know about other people in our neighborhood, but birds seem to really like our house.  We have two main "problem" areas.  Every year birds build a nest on the light fixture in our front porch.  We also have the hook up for a ceiling fan {but no ceiling fan} on our back porch and it is a favorite place for birds to rest.

It's not that we really mind having birds around; it's just that they do things that are not ideal to us.  The birds on the front porch live there in the nest.  They have their babies there and they do not like it when we encroach on their territory.  You know, like when we walk outside to get the mail or when someone decides they would like to come visit us and come to the front door.  The birds fly out of the nest, sometimes with a little vindictive dive bomb at our heads.  And when their babies are too young to fly, they perch on the tree in our yard and shriek and shriek until we are safely back in our house and out of their "territory".  



The birds on the back porch don't live there; they just rest on the fan hook up from time to time.  Of course, our back porch is set up so that the seating {don't let me fool you here; we have a $5 garage sale table and some plastic chairs} is situated under the fan hook up.  This means bird doo doo gets all over everything, all.of.the.time.

This year, we decided we were sick of it all and were going to take action.  Unfortunately, the birds on the front porch beat us to the punch.  Usually, they start building the nest in the spring to lay their eggs in.  But we had several very unseasonably cold days this winter and the birds starting nesting on the light in the winter because the light bulb gave off warmth.  But, we still decided to do something about the birds on the back porch.  We purchased some sticky stuff to put on the fan hook up, so that it would be uncomfortable for birds to land on.  It has definitely cut down on the bird doo doo.  We are now able to sit out there without having to get out the Clorox wipes.

But, now there is a new issue.  Actually, it isn't an issue, it is just odd.  I was watering my flowers a couple of weeks ago and when I came to the highest pot, this is what I found...


A bird's egg in my flower pot!!!

I have to say that is the LAST thing I ever expected to see there.  No birds have been hovering around or acting like they belong to this egg.  I really have no idea why a bird would lay an egg here.  We decided in all likely hood it is not a fertilized egg and we would just leave it and see what becomes of it.

Some time went by and I was out watering the flowers again.  Of course, by now I'm used to this egg being there and expected to see it when I got to that top flower pot, but no, once again, I was surprised by what was there...


Two eggs!

Seriously, what is up with this...anyone?

It has been a week or so and there are still just the two eggs.  I'll let you know what the outcome is.


1 comment:

  1. Not that I know much about bird eggs, but from the picture, they look big for bird eggs. Could it be from another animal?

    ReplyDelete