Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Saturday, January 14, 2012

The One Room School

We started school back up this week.  It was a longer break than I expected, but I realized when we started up that I really did need the break.  I'm refreshed and motivated now.

Over Christmas we finished up the kids new desk; so, I thought this would be a fun time to give a little tour of our school room as well as show off the new desk. 

Here it is.  We killed two birds with one stone by re-purposing our crib.  The table we had/have was not big enough for both girls to do anything at together and we needed a place to put the crib while we wait to find out the age of our son.  It works really well for both girls and fit perfectly in the space.  Here is the website that inspired it.  

We did use chalkboard paint on the board.  Although I think it looks cute and fits the "school" theme I almost wish we hadn't done it.  The painting process was long and annoying because it had to cure.  It also did not dry perfectly smooth.  But most of all, I'm just not a fan of them actually using chalk on it {I really should have known that about myself beforehand}.

Stored below the desk are the boxes that we keep their craft projects and papers in.  I try to contain everything to these boxes.  When they are full they need to be purged to make room for more. 



Next to the girls' desk is my desk/sewing machine/craft table.  Its just a folding card table with a table cloth thrown over it.  The quilt above it was meant for Pumpkin's room, but we moved her into Mooky's room in anticipation of Brother before the quilt was even finished.  I enjoy looking at it everyday though, so it works here. 



This is the "overflow" bookcase.  It holds what I've whittled my books down to, some books from my childhood that will be great as the kids get older and then just random stuff.  The little table is what we were using as a desk and clearly was not big enough for both of them.  That is a white board sitting on it.  I really thought I would use a white board all of the time, but I rarely ever do.  I'm glad I just picked up a cheap one for now.  Maybe in later years we will have more use for it.


This is the main bookcase.  It holds most of our puzzles, all of the girls books, all of the school books, lots of games, and then other random school supplies and all of my current Bible study/reading things.

I do have a closet you can see to the right there. It is very small and filled with all of my stamping/scrapbooking stuff as well as kid craft stuff, playdough {gluten free version}, and other misc. stuff. 


This is the doors to the room, our calendar, and a very neat addition...our flag.  Hubby is about as patriotic as they come.  When he left his old job his buddies got together and had the flag framed for him.  This den was originally his office when he started working from home.  We just never got around to moving the flag when he moved his office to one of the bedrooms.  Now we use it to say the pledge of allegiance every morning.

So that is the tour.  Nothing fancy, but I do feel very blessed to have a dedicated space to do school.


No comments:

Post a Comment