Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:12

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Certainty or Something Like It

Recently I was up to visit my family and I had the opportunity to go with my sister to her school.  We were out running an errand and she wanted to swing by to pick up some files.  She is a kindergarten teacher and school will be starting up soon so she is starting to prepare for the new school year.

Sometimes it can feel a little strange to desire homeschooling for my family when my sister teaches at a public school.  I will admit that many of her teaching experiences have influenced our decision.  She hasn't always had model students in her classes and I've seen some of her struggles with the school bureaucracy to get what her students need.  However, I would say all of that was a pretty minor part of our decision to homeschool.  In fact, just tonight I spoke with several Christian families that were very positive about our school district and their children's attendance there.  To be fair, we do happen to live in the very best school district in the state.

Anyway, this post isn't really about why we chose to homeschool; it is about how after walking through my sister's school I feel good about our decision.  She has a wonderfully large classroom and the school was clean and very nice.  But, I couldn't imagine my child there.  I couldn't imagine my Mooky lining up against those cold brick walls with twenty other students.  The loudness, the chaos, the pushing, the teasing, the lack of God.  Although the entire school experience seems such a common, ordinary experience for children, it just wasn't for us.

I want my Mooky to be taught in the warmth and comfort of home.  I want her to be taught the things WE think are most important.  I want her to be taught by someone who thinks she is equal in importance to the sun and the moon, not just another pupil {although she would surely be any teacher's favorite}.  With each concept she learns, I want her to see how her Creator was involved in it.

In the end, it doesn't really matter if I'm certain about any of it and what I want.  As we came closer and closer to this decision, God made it abundantly clear where He wanted us.  It's funny how I'm learning over and over again that what God calls you to, he will equip you for.  Two years ago I could not imagine trying to teach what I thought to be the most stubborn child on the planet.  But here we are and so far we are doing just fine in our nice, cozy school room filled with love and most importantly...God.

P.S. We do have frustrating days...just so you know.

P.P.S  I just wanted to note that I do not think my children are better than anyone else's and should be spoiled in some ridiculous way.  Although it may appear that way when I say I think they are equal in importance to the sun and the moon.  Also, I absolutely support each families choice to school their children as they deem best.  Homeschooling is not the best choice for everyone just like public school {or other} is not the best choice for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment