I know some of you are going to read that title and move right on because you've seen this before, and that is fine. However, I'm posting it because there is still a whole world that hasn't seen it and because it renews me every time I watch it.
As much as I originally enjoyed this video something kept bugging me about it. What did "depraved indifference" really mean? Some of you probably know the definition off of the top of your heads But me... most of my day revolves around much smaller concepts, like ABC and 123 {literally}, so I couldn't think of the definition. However, one day I came across a blog post that spelled it out. And I would love to give them recognition for this, but now I can't find them {if it was you, please leave me a comment or email so I can give you that recognition}. The legal term for depraved indifference is this:
To constitute depraved indifference, the defendant's conduct must be 'so wanton, so deficient in a moral sense of concern, so lacking in regard for the life or lives of others, and so blameworthy as to warrant the same criminal liability as that which the law imposes upon a person who intentionally causes a crime. Depraved indifference focuses on the risk created by the defendant’s conduct, not the injuries actually resulting.
I'm sure if I wanted to cover every angle and feeling of this idea of "depraved indifference" I could write an entire book; so, for the most part I'm just going to leave it at that and let the video and God do the talking in your heart. Just consider one thing. It is not only people's lives in Africa that we could be acting toward with "depraved indifference". For example, each of us probably treats those closest to us with some form of depraved indifference. Do we truly care about each and every person near and far "as God cares," and if the answer is yes, do we act like we do?

No comments:
Post a Comment